Thursday 27 May 2010

LondonPATTERN



The pattern workshop involved taking a found London graphic and experimenting with repetition and colour to create a pattern that captured the essence of the capital. During the workshop I travelled to London Bridge and picked up a typical London postcard, complete with images of Eros, Bowler hats and the London Underground roundel. I set myself the challenge of trying to transform the Underground roundel from something cliched and obvious to something a little more crafted and intriguing.




During the course of the workshop I altered the form of the roundel to make it a little more abstract and bold and then experimented with repetition and rotation to create the pattern.




I opted to use yellow instead of the ubiquitous London red, partly to reference the safety message on the tube and partly to capture the electric excitement of the capital…As previously stated I now intend to create a series of these patterns to incorporate into my CONTRASTLondon chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment