Thursday 27 May 2010

LondonLEGENDS



The Urban Legends workshop required us to storyboard one of a list of Urban Legends relating to London, and then distill this storyboard into a sequence of 3 images which successfully conveyed the narrative.



I opted for a Victorian setting for my narrative, informed by the story's references to dark alleys, mutilated bodies and mysterious letters.


During the workshop I decided to experiment with extreme angle of view, which gave the storyboard a filmic quality. From this I decided to try and create a graphic narrative which merged the crime-noir comicbook style of artists such as Frank Lee with Victorian engravings.






I researched the Victorian Penny Dreadful illustrations, along with crime-noir comics, and a practical guide on drawing the style. It became clear the natural narrator for the sequence was the policeman, and so I set about trying to marry the two styles, initially attempting to create a dark troubled hero from the rather staid figure of the Victorian policeman.



I am now currently revisiting the storyboard and reworking it from the new protagonist's point of view...

No comments:

Post a Comment