Wednesday 4 November 2009

Favela Chic!

I saw this sign for restaurant/bar/exhibition space Favela Chic in Shoreditch the other day and completely fell in love with it! If my GCSE Geography serves me correctly, the favelas are Brazilian shanty towns that exist on the periphery, growing randomly, almost organically from found elements. As such, I guess the design concept for this bar is about bringing together a sense of Brazilian/Latin flair and a kind of retro patchwork aesthetic. I love how the sign itself looks like it was constructed from ‘found’ elements; letters reappropriated from other signs, and urban debris. It looks like a pretty intriguing place...according to their Design Manifesto (only visible on their French sister site - translated here if you don't speak French...!), 'the world of Favela presents itself as a joyous bric-a-brac where each object becomes a symbol reused. The assembly of various materials, juxtaposed and pasted is the geometry of urban chaos.' Such a poetic impetus behind design - awesome! (I might steal it to describe my collages...!). I Heart Favela Chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment