Monday 22 February 2010

Let's get socio-political...


So the next project is a poster design to raise awareness of a current socio-political issue, with ethical graphic design agency Zerofee. I've shortlisted 3 potential issues:


I was interested and surprised to learn that, despite being UK citizens and taxpayers, it is essentially impossible for women in Northern Ireland to get an abortion - they are forced to spend their own money travelling to England or further afield to get access to treatment. This campaign seems to have gained momentum in recent months and so could be an interesting issue to tackle. I guess it would be an awareness-raising poster, most likely aimed at liberals who already support a woman's right to abortion.



A pro-animal testing organisation who seek to promote the benefits of testing on animals for medical testing, Pro-Test also aim to dispel many of the myths surrounding the issue. This group intrigued me, partly because I have always taken as read that I am against testing on animals, and did find some of the justifications on the Pro-Test website arresting and actually quite reasonable... Secondly, it would definitely be a design challenge to try and persuade fence-sitters or animal lovers that animal testing is necessary and justified...However, I can't say I was completely convinced by Pro-Test's arguments (I did email them for clarification on some of their more ambiguous 'facts', but as yet have had no reply...) and wonder whether, for a project such a this, you should really be passionate about and believe in the issue you are bringing to public attention...


This is obviously a well-trodden path in terms of poster-design, and it is such a massive issue, ultimately I'm not sure I will decide to tackle it for the final design, but in researching current socio-political issues I kept coming back to the fact that, in the world today there is such a massive disparity between the privileged and the deprived, surely we as graphic communicators on the privileged side of the fence have a responsibility to use our craft to bring attention to this issue...? However, as I say I'm aware that this is not a particularly original issue, aside from being pretty huge, and in addition, perhaps there is a sense that telling people that world poverty is bad is a given and thus less of a design challenge? But then I guess the challenge would be cutting through all that background noise to make an impact...

Will see what Paul and Ela have to say tomorrow anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment