Wednesday 27 January 2010

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Ok, so after the formative assessment for the GDF project I decided I wanted to do a little more work on the logo as I wasn't sure it quite worked aesthetically, and also wanted to carry out a little more experimentation with, or at least consideration of, colour, and try applying the final identity to some formats, eg, Tshirts, posters, etc.

In order to refocus, I watched the 1996 film 'Brassed Off' which very much explores how 'working class' and 'culture' come together. It occurred to me that the euphonium, as such a loud, large and solid instrument, is the perfect emblem to incorporate into a logo for blokes.


I rearranged the collage element of the design, such that the electric guitar provided a unifying visual 'peak' to the design, and the euphonium and pint glass perfect receptacles for the film-reel 'scrolls' to emerge from.


In terms of consideration of colour, I set about trying to anticipate how my target audience would respond to certain colour combinations, consciously or otherwise.


I ultimately opted to keep the yellow and black colour scheme I had originally chosen, as I felt the allusions to visual symbols such as hazard tape and danger signs lent the design more of an exciting edge, which would be more likely to inspire my working class audience to get involved with 'culture' albeit on a subtle, more subconscious level.



All in all I'm satisfied with the final outcome for the GDF project and have definitely achieved one of my initial aims of improving my skills in illustrator. In hindsight though, I should maybe have devoted some time to 'market research', testing the logo design with target audience and making any changes where necessary. Not a bad start to the year though...

No comments:

Post a Comment